Things that bring me happiness - balcony garden edition #4

This summer, as every summer, I am tending to my balcony garden. This year I am happier with it than ever as it finally "feels green" and I hope it will get better and better each year. Last month I got myself an oleander. I was a bit torn which colour to get as there were pots with white only, pink only, dark pink only. I was elaborating a lot when I spotted one pot that had all three - it was literally waiting for me, perfect!

Toto léto, ostatně, stejně jako ta předchozí, se pečlivě starám o svou zahradu na balkoně. Letos sem na ni pyšnější než kdy dříve, protože mám konečně pocit, že je dostatečně "zelená" a jen doufám, že s příštími léty to bude jen lepší. Minulý měsíc jsem si koupila oleandr. Nejprve jsem byla celkem nerozhodná, kterou barvu v obchodě vzít - měli květníky s bílým, světle růžovým a tmavě růžovým. Tak dlouho jsem se rozhodovala až jsem objevila jeden jediný květník, kde byly všechny tři barvy - dokonalost!

things that bring me happiness, balcony garden, gardening foxglove, ivy sprouts, blooming orange tree, georgiana quaint

things that bring me happiness, balcony garden, gardening foxglove, ivy sprouts, blooming orange tree, georgiana quaint


I was able to grow foxglove from seeds I collected on a walk last year. The only thing that surprised me a bit is that it will not bloom the first year, so I hope it will survive till the next season, fingers crossed ;)

I am also contemplating to try to grow them on the grounds near my home, you know, some guerilla gardening (also, faeries live where foxgloves grow ;)) - I wanted to do it for a long time already, but never took action... 

Podařilo se mi vypěstovat náprstník ze semen, která jsem nasbírala vloni na procházce. Jediná věc, co mě trochu zamrzela je, že kvést budou až za rok, je to dvouletka, tak snad přežije zimu, držím si palce ;)

Taky přemýšlím nad tím, že bych pár kousků zasadila někde v okolí bydliště, již dlouho se chystám na nějaký ten guerilla gardening (protože víly bydlí tam, kde jsou náprstníky ;)), ale nikdy jsem se do toho nedala...


I also want to plant some "Japanese lanterns" (Physalis alkekengi) that make every autumn even more adorable. The summer months is when it should be done, so it is high time for me to do so, however once again - it will bloom and make the beloved orange lanterns in the next season.

Ráda bych si vypěstovala "lampionky" mochyně, které udělají každý podzim ještě krásnějším. Letní měsíce jsou obdobím, kdy by se to mělo udělat, takže nejvyšší čas se do toho dát, ale opět - budou kvést a mít lampionky až za rok.


I can see that my orange tree is really happy on the balcony in the sun, I guess obviously. This is the first summer I put it outside as previously I was afraid that it would get attacked by various insects that like to feast on my flowers on the balcony, but throughout the years I think I worked out how to get rid of them in time (the flowers I want to keep safe get regular showers and it looks like this works!). When I put the orange tree outside it immediately started blooming like crazy. I am curious if it will keep some little oranges or if they will fall off. Sometimes they do, the tree never keeps them all, I guess it depends on the watering and maybe also some sort of management when the tree doesn´t want to have way too many fruits.

Pomerančovníku se letos obzvláště daří, jelikož jsem ho prvně dala na slunce na balkon. Předchozí léta jsem se o něj trochu bála, aby jej nenapadli škůdci, kterým se na mém balkoně také dost daří, ale už jsem asi přišla na to, jak se ji zavčasu zbavit - rostliny kterých si fakt vážím jednou za čas pořádně vysprchuji a zdá se, že tohle mi funguje). Když jsem dala pomerančovník ven, ihned se obsypal květy. Jsem zvědavá, jestli si nechá pár malých pomerančů, nebo je shodí. Asi záleží na zálivce nebo má nějaký vnitřní management, kdy se pár plodů zbaví, aby je nemusel všechny živit.


Currently I don´t have many herbs, just some lavender (that will probably die, as it happens each year... and I am not sure why) and rosemary that seems be thrive (I use it on my hair).

V současnosti nemám moc bylinek, jen levanduli (která mi pokaždé zajde... ještě jsem nezjistila proč) a rozmarýn, kterému se daří (používám jej na vlasy).


Currently I am in the middle of an experiment when I am trying to make ivy cuttings grow their first roots in water so that I can plant them later. According to literature it should work, but takes some time. I hope it works out as ivy is one of my favourite plants and I´d love to have it, especially this one as the cuttings are from a place that is close to my heart.

Experimentuji teď s řízky břečťanu, chtěla bych, aby mi pustil ve vodě kořínky, abych jej mohla zasadit a přidat do své sbírky rostli. Mělo by to snad takto fungovat, jen to prý chvíli trvá. Ráda bych jej měla, protože patří k mým oblíbeným rostlinám a jeho řízky jsem navíc nastříhala z rostliny rostoucí na místě, které je mi blízké.


things that bring me happiness, balcony garden, gardening foxglove, ivy sprouts, blooming orange tree, georgiana quaint

things that bring me happiness, balcony garden, gardening foxglove, ivy sprouts, blooming orange tree, georgiana quaint

Comments