Weekend Hashtag Projects on Instagram

Soon after I have downloaded the app and set up my Instagram profile I started to read various articles about Instagram, how it works and what are the best practices. I stumbed upon the Weekend hashtag project challenge. It was a challenge given by the Instagram itself on their blog and their profile to photograph or make a video on a certain topic and publish it under a given WHP hashtag. It was a way how to get discovered, because Instagram would then repost some of the photos on their profile that is followed by millions of people, so the exposure was huge. When I think about it there wasn´t such a big competition (considering the existence of millions of profiles) as you would think because there would be a few thousand photos under the hashtag by the end of the weekend.
Brzy na to, co jsem si stáhla aplikaci Instagram, jsem začala číst všelijaké články o něm a o vhodném chování na něm. Tehdy jsem narazila na výzvu Weekend hashtag project. Tato výzva byla pořádána samotným Instagramem a zadání dávali na svůj blog a profil. Každý víkend se fotilo, případně točilo video, na jiné téma a příspěvky se publikovaly pod daným WHP hashtagem. Šlo nejen o soutěž v kreativitě, ale byl zde i potenciál na objevení, protože pár příspěvků se pak objevilo na profilu Instagramu, který má miliony fanoušků. Když nad tím tak přemýšlím, tak konkurence ani nebyla zas tak velká (uvážíme-li miliony existujících profilů), pod zadanými hashtagy se koncem víkendu objevilo několik tisíc fotek.


instagram whp, weekend hashtag project, georgiana quaint, whp cancelled, weekend hashtag projects on instagram

I really liked these challenges because they made me more creative. I used to go to a photography seminar and the teacher would give us tasks to photograph certain topics. These topics were usually out of my box, so the challenged my creativity and skills. When this university course was over I was looking for something similar and was happy to find out about the WHP challenges, because they would make me think more creatively about the photography.
Tyto výzvy testovaly mou kreativitu, a proto jsem je měla ráda. Na vejšce jsem chodila na fotografický seminář a učitelka nám zadávala focení fotek na určité téma. Tato témata bývala mimo "bublinu" toho, co obvykle fotím, takže jsem se vždy něco naučila. Když tento seminář skončil, celkem mi toto zadávání (pro mě) neobvyklých témat chybělo, a tehdy jsem narazila na WHP, takže jsem opět byla nucena být kreativnější fotograf.

I once even got semi-viral thanks to the WHP challenges. There was a challenge to show local places and I posted a photo of two peacocks sitting on a bank during winter. Snow was covering everything and the peacocks apparently weren´t fond of it. I posted in on Sunday evening and for some time nothing was happening. Then suddenly (I think on Tuesday evening/night) a huge influx of likes and comments and followers came in my way - to this photo to be precise. I was confused, what is happening? Instagram apparently gave a like to my photo, it was an ultimate powerlike. Back then I had a really tiny account and I usually liked back when someone liked my photos. I tried liking back but soon realized that it is just not possible. On this day I had to turn off my notifications (yes, I used to have enabled notification about new likes, comments and followers), because my phone got bonkers.
Jednou se mi díky WHP podařil takový menší virál. Zadáním bylo vyfotit nějakou místní zajímavost a já tehdy publikovala fotku dvou pávů sedících na opěradle lavičky, protože nechtěli ťapkat ve sněhu kolem nich. Fotku jsem zveřejnila v neděli večer a nějakou dobu se nic nedělo, ale pak najednou (myslím, že v úterý večer/v noci) jsem si všimla přílivu velkého množství likes a komentářů a i sledujících díky této fotce. Nejdřív jsem netušila co se děje, ale pak jsem zjistila, že Instagram dal like mé fotce. Dostala jsem ultimátní powerlike. Tehdy jsem měla maličký profil a obvykle jsem likes oplácela, když mi někdo nějaký dal. I tentokrát jsem se je snažila oplatit, ale brzy jsem zjistitla, že nemám šanci. Tento den jsem si musela vypnout notifikace (ano, tenkrát jsem ještě měla zapnuté notifikace o nových likes, komentářích a sledujících), protože můj mobil z toho bláznil.

Since about spring of this year the original WHPs aren´t on the Instagram anymore. I guess this might be because the original two founders of the app Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger left the company. I suspect that the WHP was their idea, their pet project to give back to the community. I really miss these challenges, so I decided to snoop around and find alternatives as there are others who create their own WHP for their community. After all there is no harm to try to become a part of some community :) Currently I know about monthly challenges that give you a topic each day, like #fallforcostume, but I hope I will also find some similar to the original WHP.
Přibližně od jara letošního roku se už oficiální WHP na Instagramu nekonají. Odhaduji, že to má souvislost s tím, že na jaře Instagram opustili jeho původní zakladatelé Kevin Systrom a Mike Krieger. Myslím si, že WHP byl jejich nápad a způsob, jak něco dávat nazpět komunitě. Tyto výzvy mně opravdu chybí a tak jsem se rozhodla porozhlédnout se po alternativách, protože i jiní pořádají WHP pro své komunity. Konec konců, nikdy nemůže být na škodu stát se součástí nějaké komunity :) Zatím vím o výzvách, které trvají celý měsíc, např. #fallforcostume, v nichž je dáno téma na každý den v měsíci, ale doufám, že narazím na nějakou, která bude podobná původním WHP.




Comments